The Romey cottage was built by Mary Hersey; an elementary school teacher from Milton. Mary had originally bought the old Doane Farm in the “teens”, sometime before 1920. Her sister Helen and Helen’s husband Howard Patterson lived with Mary on the Cape in the summers, and she lived with them in Milton during the winters. The upkeep of the farm eventually became too much for Mary so she decided to sell the Farm, and in 1946 she built a house next door, up the hill, overlooking Mill Pond and the Mill Race; 50 Nauset Heights Rd. She had 11+ acres, eventually selling off two lots fronting on Nauset Heights Road, one to the late Willis Pattison.