Vintage Photos


Late 1600s - Pencil drawing of the Oliver Doane Homestead; the first farm on Nauset Heights after the Nauset Indians. Note the Mill Race to the left and cows to the right. Photo provided by Rob Cunningham
Late 1600s - Pencil drawing of the Oliver Doane Homestead; the first farm on Nauset Heights after the Nauset Indians. Note the Mill Race to the left and cows to the right. Photo provided by Rob Cunningham
1930\'s Postcard of Nauset Heights. From left to right: Callanan (Kenna), Farnham, Bennet (Cunningham), Weed (Hurlburt), Taylor (Hurlburt - Sea Feaver), unknown, Rollins (McGee), Young - \
1930's Postcard of Nauset Heights. From left to right: Callanan (Kenna), Farnham, Bennet (Cunningham), Weed (Hurlburt), Taylor (Hurlburt - Sea Feaver), unknown, Rollins (McGee), Young - "Old Camp" (Eschert), unknown. Photo provided by Orleans Historical Society
Sand City 01 modified
1920's "Sand City"; 13 cottages on Nauset Beach in front of Nauset Heights. Before the addition of the Public Beach a salt river ran inside of the beach all the way to Pleasant Bay and barges would pass through there. Photo provided by Bill Burling.
	 \
"Sand City" - early 1900's. 13 cottages in front of Nauset Heights. Most of them were washed away in storms and some burned down. Two of them were transported to the Heights and are still in existence.
1937 - View of Nauset Harbor from Devil\'s Rock on Tonset Shore
1937 - View of Nauset Harbor from Devil's Rock on Tonset Shore
	 Early postcard of Nauset Bluff. Note how steep the bluff was in front of the old Hunting Lodge - Captain Young\'s cottage.
Early postcard of Nauset Bluff. Note how steep the bluff was in front of the old Hunting Lodge - Captain Young's cottage.
Early Postcard of Nauset Public Beach Parking Lot. Photo provided by Orleans Historical Museum
Early Postcard of Nauset Public Beach Parking Lot. Photo provided by Orleans Historical Museum
Stairway looking over Nauset Bluff
Stairway looking over Nauset Bluff Photo provided by Farnham Family
Nauset Heights looking down the hill from the top of Nauset Road on Kenna\'s property. The Scofield cottage is on the far left, the Bennett/Rollins/Cunningham cottage just beyond. Roberta Hurlburt\'s cottage, \
Nauset Heights looking down the hill from the top of Nauset Road on Kenna's property. The Scofield cottage is on the far left, the Bennett/Rollins/Cunningham cottage just beyond. Roberta Hurlburt's cottage, "Sea Feaver" is next. Roberta's main house (The Weed house) is across the road on the right. Can you guess what year this was taken? Photo provided by Roberta Hurlburt
Nauset Bluff
Nauset Heights bluff. Cottages from left to right: Bennett (Cunningham), Weed (Hurlburt), Taylor (Hurlburt-Sea Feaver), Rollins (McGee), Young (Eschert), Calderwood. Can you guess the others? Post Card photo provided by Roberta Hurlburt
Captain Young\'s cottage, known as the Aspinet Hunting Lodge. Now the Eschert house, at the intersection of Cliff Road and Priscilla Road.
Captain Young's cottage, known as the Aspinet Hunting Lodge. Now the Eschert house, at the intersection of Cliff Road and Priscilla Road.
View from Nauset Road down to Mill Pond Photo provided by Nancy Barker
View from Nauset Road down to Mill Pond Photo provided by Nancy Barker
Tonset shore and fishing shacks, looking across Nauset harbor towards Nauset Heights and Priscilla Beach
Tonset shore and fishing shacks, looking across Nauset harbor towards Nauset Heights and Priscilla Beach
Looking down hill towards McGee and Eschert houses on bluff Photo provided by Nancy Barker
Looking down hill towards McGee and Eschert houses on bluff Photo provided by Nancy Barker
Priscilla Beach, also known as \
Priscilla Beach, also known as "Bixby's Beach". Small shack is U.S. Coast Guard Life Boat House. Larger shack on right belonged to Jill Headington's grandfather. Photo provided by Farnham Family
Farnham cottages, center and right, as viewed from Nauset Inlet. Photo provided by Farnham Family
Farnham cottages, center and right, as viewed from Nauset Inlet. Photo provided by Farnham Family
Surf Rescue Boat House at bottom of Surf Boat Lane Photo provided by Nancy Barker
Surf Rescue Boat House at bottom of Surf Boat Lane Photo provided by Nancy Barker
Early 1900\'s - In the distance, \
Early 1900's - In the distance, "Sand City", a bunch of duck shacks on Nauset Beach just north of the public beach parking lot. Eventually, they were all wiped out by storms. The Farnham house, Cottage A in the foreground. Photo provided by Farnham Family
1905 Roxhall - Callanan Cottage
1905 Roxhall - Callanan Cottage
1947 - Shaughnessy residence (formerly, Margaret Condon) at 90 Nauset Heights Rd. Photo provided by Barbara Shaughnessy
1947 - Shaughnessy residence (formerly, Margaret Condon) at 90 Nauset Heights Rd. Photo provided by Barbara Shaughnessy
The day of the stripper \
The day of the stripper "Blitz". Paul E. Callanan (left), Dr. Julian B. Doherty (right) Photo provided by Nancy Barker
Early photo of Oliver Doane of Doane Farm. Doane Farm encompassed all of Nauset Heights and produced corn and dairy cows. It also operated a hydro-driven mill at the entrance to the Mill Pond for grinding corn and wheat.
Early photo of Oliver Doane of Doane Farm. Doane Farm encompassed all of Nauset Heights and produced corn and dairy cows. It also operated a hydro-driven mill at the entrance to the Mill Pond for grinding corn and wheat. Some of the original wooden post foundation still exist. Photo provided by Orleans Historical Museum
Joseph Condon standing in his yard at 90 Nauset Heights Rd. Behind him is the former Black residence. Notice how small his hedge is at this point. It\'s just getting started. Photo provided by Barbara Shaughnessy
Joseph Condon standing in his yard at 90 Nauset Heights Rd. Behind him is the former Black residence. Notice how small his hedge is at this point. It's just getting started. Photo provided by Barbara Shaughnessy
1954 Strickler Cottage, 1 Standish Road
1954 Strickler Cottage, 1 Standish Road in the background with Bill Burling as a small child sitting on the lawn of this house. Note the house has none of the current dormers on the roofline. The dormers were added in the 1980s, and the Stricklers purchased the house in 2008.
1950\'s - View over the Bluff at the Burling residence. Note the location of the Big Rock.
1950's - View over the Bluff at the Burling residence. Note the location of the Big Rock.
1905 Mayo\'s Duck Farm
1905 Mayo's Duck Farm
Mayo\'s Duck Farm
Mayo's Duck Farm
Mayo\'s Duck Farm
Mayo's Duck Farm
Surf Rescue Boat House at bottom of Surf Boat Lane Photo provided by Nancy Barker
Surf Rescue Boat House at bottom of Surf Boat Lane Photo provided by Nancy Barker
1954 December - the Big Rock in Nauset Harbor. Photo provided by Bill Burling
1954 December - the Big Rock in Nauset Harbor. Photo provided by Bill Burling
The Big Rock in Nauset Harbor known as Fighting Chance Rock
The Big Rock in Nauset Harbor known as Fighting Chance Rock
The Big Rock in Nauset Harbor known as Fighting Chance Rock
The Big Rock in Nauset Harbor known as Fighting Chance Rock
1905 - Giant Fluke
1905 - Giant Fluke. Unknown object in background Photo provided by Nancy Barker
1902 - Bathing suits
1902 - Bathing suits
1930 Ford Beach Buggy
1930 Ford Beach Buggy
1930 Ford Beach Buggy
1930 Ford Beach Buggy
1934 - Farnham Duck Hunting Shack on Nauset Beach - Eastham
1934 - Farnham Duck Hunting Shack on Nauset Beach - Eastham
1939 Left to right; Bennett barn/workship, Bennett cottage (now Cunningham), the Taylor cottage (now Hurlburt rental cottage).
1939 Left to right; Bennett barn/workship, Bennett cottage (now Cunningham), the Taylor cottage (now Hurlburt rental cottage).
Weed house with Brezina\'s tennis court
Weed's house with Brezina's tennis court in foreground. Now, Roberta Hurlburt's house Photo provided by Roberta Hurlburt
Nauset Inlet and Big Rock circa 1940. Submitted by Bill Burling
Nauset Inlet and Big Rock circa 1940. Submitted by Bill Burling
Farnham houses picture 1.jpg
Farnham Cottage A on left. Farnham Cottage B in the middle, Kenna Cottage on the right.
Farnham houses picture 2.jpg
Three story Kenna house on the left, Farnham Cottage A in the middle, Farnham Cottage B on the right. The third story of the Kenna house blew off during a hurricane and was never replaced.
Farnham houses picture 3.jpg
View looking south on Nauset Rd. up the hill towards Cottage B on the left, the Kenna house in the middle and the current Cunningham house on the right. Note the Kenna house has three-stories.